Oxygen’s Power-Packed Chocolate Muffins
I love this awesome recipe from Oxygen Magazine, especially when I am craving chocolate! Below are a few of my personal adaptations to this fabulous muffin recipe making it gluten free.
- 1 1/4 cup whole grain oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I use 1 cup amaranth flour)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I use raw cacao)
- 2 tbsp whey protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup low-fat milk + 1/2 tsp white vinegar) (i use almond milk + vinegar in the same proportions)
- 3 tbsp honey (i use 20-25 drops vanilla creme stevia)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (i use extra virgin coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup raisins (i use 1/2 cup of slivered almonds and 1/4 cup cacao nibs)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients all at once, stirring just until all dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in raisins.
- Portion batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrients per serving (Makes 12 muffins):
Calories: 182, Total Fats: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Sodium: 122 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 30 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 9 g, Protein: 8 g, Iron 2 mg
By: Linda Melone; Photography by: Peter Chou